Windows Update error 0x8007371b prevents Windows 10 updates from being installed. This step-by-step article goes through some of the probable error 0x8007371b remedies in further depth. Windows Update error 0x8007371b is an old problem that first appeared in Windows 7 and Vista. However, consumers have also reported on forums regarding Windows 10 problem 0x8007371b.
The message 0x8007371b says that 0x8007371B = ERROR_SXS_TRANSACTION_CLOSURE_INCOMPLETE. This problem occurs when users attempt to upgrade to Windows 10. As a result, updates are not installed. These are some possible solutions to Windows Update problem 0x8007371b.
How can I Fix Windows Update error 0x8007371b?
1. Use Windows Update
This is how to fix Windows Update error 0x8007371b using Windows 10 Updates.
- Run the troubleshooter for Windows Update.
- Click the search from taskbar.
- In the search utility, enter the phrase troubleshoot.
- To access the Settings tab, click Troubleshoot.
- To access the window displayed right below, click Additional troubleshooters.
- Choose the Windows Update troubleshooter from the list.
- To launch the Windows Update troubleshooter, click Run the troubleshooter.
- Then go through and apply the troubleshooter’s recommendations.
2. Perform image and servicing scans
- Press the Windows key + S search box keyboard shortcut to launch Deployment Image & Servicing Management scans.
- In the search box of Windows 10, type cmd.
- Right-click Command Prompt to launch an elevated CP window and choose Run as administrator.
- First, enter the following command and hit Enter:
Dism /online /cleanup-image /ScanHealth
After scanning, enter the following Deployment Image command:
Dism /online /cleanup-image /CheckHealth
- Finally, enter the following command
Dism online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
3. Scan System Files
- As in stages one through three of the previous resolution, open an elevated Command Prompt window.
- In the Prompt window, type the following System File Checker command:
- To execute the SFC command, press the Enter key.
- Wait for the scan to complete and show the scanning results.
- Restart your laptop or desktop if the scan results show that Windows Resource Protection fixed corrupt files.
4. Delete the cache folder from Windows Update
- Select Run by right-clicking your Start button.
- To open the Services window, type services.msc into the Run text box and click OK.
- Stop the Windows Update service by right-clicking it.
- Then, using the Windows key + E keyboard shortcut, launch File Explorer.
- Enter the following path into the file path bar:
- To select all of the folder’s contents, use Ctrl + A.
- Choose the Home tab.
- Select the Delete option.
- Reopen the Services window.
- To restart Windows Update, right-click it and choose Start.
5. Remove any third-party Antivirus Software
- Open the Run window.
- To launch the Programs and Features applet, type appwiz.cpl into Run and press OK.
- Choose your antivirus program from the list.
- Select the Uninstall option for your antivirus software.
- Click Yes to check more software uninstall confirmation.
- Please keep in mind that some antivirus programs have their uninstallation options.
- If your antivirus program provides an official removal tool, use it to remove it.
The remedies shown above may help some people with Windows Update error 0x8007371b, but they are not guaranteed to help everyone. If the previous remedies are insufficient, try reinstalling Windows 10 using the in-place upgrade technique as the last option. Also read how to Securely Restore to Windows 10 From Windows 11.